AMD continues to push the boundaries with supercomputing and focuses heavily on high-performance computing. AMD EPYC CPUs and AMD Instinct accelerators continue to be the primary choice for HPC workloads.
Backing up their advances in the supercomputing space is public knowledge. The Frontier supercomputer, powered by AMD processors, at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), remains at the top of the Top500 list with 1.1 exaflops. Frontier is more than twice as powerful as the next system on the list and more powerful than the next four systems combined.
With such power, it is important to be conscious of the environment and with that said, AMD powers 75 percent of the top 20 systems on the Green500 list including the number two spot with the Frontier test and development system (TDS) and the number six spot with the full system.
Some of AMD’s highlights in High-Performance Computing are as follows:
- AMD announced the 4th Gen AMD EPYC processors with up to 96-cores, 12 channels and up to 384GB of DDR5 memory, the latest EPYC processors can deliver the leadership performance needed for critical workloads in HPC1.
- HPE announced the HPE Cray EX2500 and HPE Cray XD2000 supercomputers will support 4th Gen AMD EPYC processors and AMD Instinct MI250X accelerators.
- Lenovo announced that Potsdam Institute for Climate Research (PIK) has selected Lenovo’s HPC and Lenovo Neptune™ water cooling solutions to develop its next supercomputer, which will support 4th Gen AMD EPYC processors.
- Microsoft announced a Preview of new Virtual Machines (VMs) for HPC. HBv4-series VMs and the all-new HX-series VMs are both powered by 4th Gen AMD EPYC processors. Each will feature AMD 3D V-Cache™ Technology when they reach General Availability in 2023. Microsoft also announced additional VMs and containers using 4th-Gen AMD EPYC are forthcoming.
- DeVito collaboration with AMD to support HIP for AMD Instinct MI200 GPUs and AMD ROCm™ software, uplifting performance for DeVito customers.
- AMD innovations were honored in five different award categories during the annual HPCwire Readers’ and Editors’ Choice Awards, including Top Supercomputing Achievement and Best Sustainability Innovation in HPC.
As a premier partner of AMD and with our extensive history with HPC and large-scale HPC environments, talk to us.
Enquire today by using the form below, and one of our expert team will be in touch.